State Director – Policy & Advocacy, Florida
Position Available: State Director – Policy & Advocacy, Florida
Reports to: Vice President of Advocacy/CEO
Category: Full-time, salaried, at-will employee
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
The State Director for Policy & Advocacy is responsible for developing, directing and advancing the Foundation’s policy and legislative agenda in Florida. The State Director oversees a policy and legislative team and leads the Foundation’s work in building and implementing an aggressive education policy agenda that positions Florida as the model for a student-centered education system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This position serves in a leadership role within the State Team in developing new or improving and protecting existing policies in Florida as well as ensuring sound implementation of those policies.
- Works with the Foundation’s Executive Leadership to develop an annual and multi-year education policy and legislative agenda for Florida as well as an accompanying strategy; manages implementation by the Florida team.
- Serves as the lead in advancing the Foundation’s policy agenda with the state legislature and executive branch.
- Researches, develops and drafts policy concepts, executive orders and legislation to support the Foundation’s policy agenda.
- Reviews education-related executive orders and legislation, identifies opportunities and concerns, develops amendment language and manages response and strategy, where necessary.
- Builds advocacy coalitions and leads regular coordinating calls and meetings with partners, including education advocates, community and business leaders and philanthropy.
- Supports the legal team with research and briefs, where needed.
- Testifies at legislative, state board of education, task force and other meetings on behalf of the Foundation on issues and actions relevant to the organization’s policy agenda and priorities.
- Provides technical assistance to support state legislators, state education agency officials and partner organizations with policy development and implementation aligned to the Foundation’s agenda. Serves on state task forces or councils relevant to the Foundation’s education agenda.
- Provides input on communication strategies, messaging, polling, surveys, parent engagement and other needs that support the Foundation’s Florida agenda.
- Works with the Development team to engage philanthropy in the Foundation’s Florida work.
- Prepares briefing materials and talking points for state leaders, board members and the Executive Leadership.
- Supports the FFF Board of Trustees; works with the Executive Leadership to develop board meeting agendas and materials for annual and semi-annual meetings; keeps the Trustees informed on policy developments in Florida through regular written updates; engages Trustees in strategies to advance policy priorities.
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to speak publicly, often before legislators and boards
- Strong leadership, management, organizational and teamwork skills
- Expertise in the drafting or implementation of education policy and legislation
- Strong understanding of the political and legislative processes
- Ability to operate with little or no supervision
- The position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least seven to ten years of experience working in Florida policy or K-12 education policy at a state executive or legislative level or with a foundation. A background in Social Science, Political Science, Public Administration, and/or an associated subject is desirable.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Carrie Jenkins at Carrie@ExcelinEd.org. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.